So for years now, since grade eight I believe, I've had this world in my head.
I used to sit through social studies, talking about it with Aaron. We would bounce ideas back and forth, best of all was that he could draw. Shit was cash.
Anyway. The gist of it was that this was a world at war, with four major nations. Each nation had a religion built around a particular element (earth, wind, fire or water). Quick point here, this was before Avatar: The Last Airbender.
But, now that show is very much a real thing, so that world feels like it would never really feel original or authentic. That being said I could never get over one aspect of the world we created. We had this nation of desert faring bad asses, who built all of their cities on the backs of enormous tortoises.
I'm not sure if you're aware, but the concept giant people-toting terrapins is one of the coolest ideas to have ever graced the minds of human beings. So I'm going to take another crack at the whole "World Building" thing, see if I'm better than my juvenile self at it. So far I've decided that this world, name pending, will be sandy and bad ass.
Score one up for grade eight Sasha.
So what else, the idea I'm kicking around right now is a world almost entirely (maybe entirely) covered in barren deserts. Every large civilization will be, you guessed it, on the back of their own giant tortoise.
These cities will all be autonomous, each living in an at least somewhat unique manner.
Maybe some cities let the tortoise decide where to go and when to go there, while others use brutal methods to dictate the direction of their home.
Aw shit... Am I coming up with Mortal Engines? Dammit, why you gotta screw me like that Phillip Reeve?
Okay, I'm gonna stop here for now, that's disheartening. I'll keep thinking about this.
I'll label all these posts as "World Building", or maybe "Phillip Reeve get fucked".
I used to sit through social studies, talking about it with Aaron. We would bounce ideas back and forth, best of all was that he could draw. Shit was cash.
Anyway. The gist of it was that this was a world at war, with four major nations. Each nation had a religion built around a particular element (earth, wind, fire or water). Quick point here, this was before Avatar: The Last Airbender.
But, now that show is very much a real thing, so that world feels like it would never really feel original or authentic. That being said I could never get over one aspect of the world we created. We had this nation of desert faring bad asses, who built all of their cities on the backs of enormous tortoises.
I'm not sure if you're aware, but the concept giant people-toting terrapins is one of the coolest ideas to have ever graced the minds of human beings. So I'm going to take another crack at the whole "World Building" thing, see if I'm better than my juvenile self at it. So far I've decided that this world, name pending, will be sandy and bad ass.
Score one up for grade eight Sasha.
So what else, the idea I'm kicking around right now is a world almost entirely (maybe entirely) covered in barren deserts. Every large civilization will be, you guessed it, on the back of their own giant tortoise.
These cities will all be autonomous, each living in an at least somewhat unique manner.
Maybe some cities let the tortoise decide where to go and when to go there, while others use brutal methods to dictate the direction of their home.
Aw shit... Am I coming up with Mortal Engines? Dammit, why you gotta screw me like that Phillip Reeve?
Okay, I'm gonna stop here for now, that's disheartening. I'll keep thinking about this.
I'll label all these posts as "World Building", or maybe "Phillip Reeve get fucked".
No comments:
Post a Comment